Saturday, November 30, 2013

First Week at Work

Today is my first weekend after I got back to work from 6-month long leave of absence. Yes, I survived my first week of work. Despite the ridiculously worse than normal traffic and heavy rainfall, I survived my first week with flying colors. At the office, I was working like how I used to work before I got sick, except that I had less workload on my first week. I've attended some meetings outside of my office (yes, I know I shouldn't be doing this, but it's part of the job). I just made sure I always have alcohol in my pocket where ever I went. Everything was like normal again. I even tend to forget I'm positive when I'm at work. But, there are some things I've noticed though. I felt so sleepy on my first day. I felt a bit tired when I got home. Well, this was probably because of the 2-hour driving due to the unusually bad traffic jam this week. But, I was happy. I felt normal again. I felt useful and productive at work again. 

Last Friday, I had a slight headache. I got scared as I feared that it could be a recurrence of meningitis. It could also be an IRIS (immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome) which occurs when one's immune system recovers from damage. So, I slept early that night. Good thing, when I woke up, my headache was gone. Thank God! I remember my HIV doctor told me that headache doesn't necessarily mean a recurrence of meningitis. If the headache is persistent, then it could be meningitis. But if it gets away from time to time, it's most likely not. When I woke up in perfect condition, I knew it wasn't meningitis. Hey, I'm still taking fluconazole as propylaxis, so that can't be meningitis! 

I also opened my personal email this weekend. Unexpectedly, an online HIV doctor replied to my question which I posted online a few days before I went back to work. 

So, there! He basically thinks it would be wise to consult my HIV doctor, and also consider part-time work. Anyway, my HIV doctor already gave me a GO signal to work again. I'll just try to avoid going to crowded places, as much as possible.  No malls! No restaurant! No cinema! Anyway, I feel great to work normally again. And strangely, I look forward to working again next week :) Just a few more months, I'm gonna be totally normal again!

Note: This post was written several weeks ago.